Monday 5 April 2010

Karla Black at Inverleith House Febuary 2010


I've been mulling over the idea of doing something with pastel lights since I saw a girl’s performance in Prague where she moved white foam boards in front of pastel lights to create this weird cushioned, pulsating space. I think the memory was triggered by the Karla Black exhibition I visited at Inverleith House a little while ago; the repulsively sticky, makeup colours in soft shades - like swimming in candyfloss! I'm bored of minimalist, monochrome text, on cheap photocopies taped to walls with masking tape. In Black's exhibition there was paint on the floor, foot prints in the plaster, mud, and crumpled paper. If I remember rightly the fun thing about art at school was the legitimate mess. Now the studios look like offices. As she said in one interview, “It’s hard enough to make something that’s any good, you may as well start with some sort of self-indulgence.”

http://artforum.com.cn/angle/2225

No comments:

Post a Comment