Tuesday 13 April 2010

I have recently discovered the joy of the blog! My flat mate thinks it is hilarious, the hours I will spend happily tapping away at a computer under the pretence of putting together a final assessment research document. There is a little more to my new obsession however, something deeper and a bit darker, something that I thought could prove potential fodder for another demonstration. The blog is a self indulgent record of my thoughts and movements. I can be utterly opinionated and cutting (usual unsubstantiated with any actual fact) and yet it is mediated. No one need know who this person is; I can write the things I would never vocalise. It is the most impersonal of mediums wrapped up under the guise of a secret diary. More importantly than this however, it is a track and a trace of where I have been, what I have done. It is a collection of words for a generation that no longer trusts the ability of their own memory. We don’t have to, we can blog! So, the flatmate and I came up with the proposal, a way of putting all these thoughts out there with a few mediators; the computer, the projector, the screen. As if these few mediators suddenly stop the words coming from you; they are from the computer, from cyber-space, not me. I could sit there, happily tapping away, projecting my words out to other people and printing as I tap. This could continue hypothetically until the print out began to form piles and piles around me, perhaps taking on the space and the weight of my own body. They would take over, take my place. The fear of forgetting could become so huge that it may indeed take over a physical space. More important than any singular sheet of paper it would represent the futility of trying to collect everything, retain everything, just in case. At the point where any of these colossal ramblings might ‘come in handy’ the irony would be that for all the attempts to retain information, it has merely been lost in a mass paper flood.

http://framingcontrol.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment