Wednesday 24 March 2010

This week I have been working on a group exhibition at the Henderson Gallery, Edinburgh. This consisted of mainly 4th year Intermedia students and a few painters. Entitled ‘Brink’ it feels very much the final push before the dreaded, fast-approaching degree show. I was rather sceptical about how such a small space would hold sixteen pieces but I think it has worked quite nicely (although it is always hard to be objective about your own work). The thing about group shows, unless the work is made in/for the space, is that it is always going to look a touch disjointed. However, because all the work seems to be quite monochrome and subtle it does not overpower the space too much, I hope. I really wanted to use the chance to display my ‘escaping the wall’ drawings which work well in a conventional white cube space because they make people get down on the floor, peer in and over and really adapt their usual movement. I felt it was important to frame one of the works on the wall almost as a counter-balance for the floor pieces, a reminder of the conventional I suppose. The first thing that my friend said on entering the space was, “why didn’t you sort the lights out?” There is always something that you forget, the bulb nearest my work, rather than picking out the piece itself, was nicely trained on my name plate!

(photos to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment