Sunday 7 March 2010



Last week I was given the very exciting opportunity to visit Edinburgh’s Clinical Research Facility at the Royal Infirmary. I am always looking for starting points for my drawings and work to develop, particularly the points where man and machine meet. This ambiguous juncture between man and machine is a particular symptom of our age which is why I find it so fascinating – our lives are governed by the technology we can create, obsolete before it has time to reach the mass market. The clinical research facility offered me new material on two levels. Firstly the ultimate point at which the brain meets the machine – I discovered how a body scan can be taken on a scanner and, within minutes, transferred to a computer, animated, spliced into sections, viewed from every possible angle. Secondly, and the part I was not expecting was the process of entering the facility itself. Airport style security and endless forms to fill out create an exaggerated state of our understanding of surveillance and control within our own society. A facility where, from the moment you are buzzed through the door, you are on view both inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment